Monday, March 14, 2011

She carries the world on her hips




Whew, cutting it a little close tonight!  I know what you all are thinking, Meg couldn't think of anything else so she decided on a semi-nude photo of herself.  Well, that's not so!  I actually had an idea in mind for tonight, and it has to do with a line from a song that that has jumped out at me the last few times I've heard it.  You see, the yoga practice I go to on Thursday nights is my favorite for several reasons, but one of the main ones is definitely the music that is played, and the last couple of weeks the teacher has played this wonderful song with great lyrics.  I wish I new who the artist was to credit for this line (I've been meaning to ask but keep forgetting), or even the title of the song, but the line that I find so great in this song is, "she carries the world on her hips".  Ashamedly I haven't even paid enough attention to the rest of the song to know who the "she" is, but I love this line anyway.  I've been thinking of the "she" as all of us women, and maybe more specifically mothers, but even women who have not actually birthed children take on the role of nurturer all the time.  So maybe the "she" is the divine feminine in all of us, carrying the weight of the world on our hips the way a mother carries her children.  Like a beautiful, female Atlas, but who takes on this "burden" not as a punishment but as a labor of love.  

So this was my attempt to illustrate this idea at least a bit, and to try to do so without "exposing" too much of myself online.  I really need to find some willing models so I don't have to worry so much about everyone thinking I'm just an exhibitionist!  

3 comments:

  1. Good morning, lovely Meg. I did a search for you. I think the song might be "Grace" by U2.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excuse my sleep deprived omission: your photo is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful photo of yourself, Meg. You are truly magnificent.

    ReplyDelete