Tuesday, March 15, 2011

26 candles short


Well, today I turned the big 27.  A friend of mine dubbed this day the "Ides of Meg" a few years ago and now that is what I prefer to call  it instead of my birthday.  Much more dramatic.  Everyone kept asking me today things like, "Starting to feel old, arn't you?" or "Getting pretty close to thirty, huh?"  I don't know why, but this birthday felt so weird to me; I think I feel younger today if that makes any sense.  What I mean is my perspective seems to have shifted a bit in the last year or so, and now I see just how young 27 is.  I feel like I have a lot of living left to do, and a lot of learning for that matter.

Oh, and the title of this post comes from the fact that I was thinking I might do something with 27 candles since I can't remember the last time I actually saw as many candles as I was old lit up for my birthday, but alas we didn't have near enough even with several open packages in the junk drawer.  I guess that made me feel a little old.  

2 comments:

  1. Happy day-after-your-birthday!
    Don't feel old. I turned 41 on Saturday and my daughter managed to gather up 41 candles!!!! I couldn't blow them all out.
    I don't feel old yet. I'm just taken by surprise sometimes when there isn't a 24 year old looking back at me in the mirror. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you young'un ~ HAPPY Ides of MEG! I just turned 44 and can attest that you definitely have a WHOLE LOTTA living to do. Nothing personal, but I don't even consider that anyone actually becomes a "real" adult until they are at least 30. And being in your 30's is fantastic! You are still closer to your 20's than you are to middle age, but you have a few years of experience under your belt.

    27 years old. Wow. For me, it seems a lifetime ago. What an adventure you have in store for you, beautiful Meg!

    Back in ancient times, when I was in my twenties, I asked my great grandmother (who was then in her early 90's) if she felt any different on the inside. She replied with a spunky, "No! I feel like I'm still 16."

    The older I get, the more I can relate. Only bodies age and an aging body beats the alternative.

    Hope your day was as special as you are.

    <3

    ReplyDelete