Thursday, March 10, 2011

Back door


Here's my first (deliberate) "after yoga" shot.  I've been looking at this door for a couple of weeks and thought it would make an interesting subject.  I wish I had taken more shots and maybe tried some different angles and such, but I did this sort of on the run (I'm such a bumpkin, I don't feel totally comfortable at night in the "big city" of South Bend Indiana).  My after yoga shots ought to improve next week after the time change when there may still be an inkling of light left. 

I do love doors as subjects.  Below is another shot I took in South Bend in the fall that I called "Secret Door" (not entirely sure why, I guess it's a secret even to me).  That was a door that I fantasized led you somewhere magical (sort of secret garden-esq), while this door that I shot tonight strikes me as the type you'd come out of instead of the type you'd go in to.  I have a scene in my head of someone coming out of this door covered in dust, brushing himself off and heading on down the street.  Strikes me as a place where you go to do some sort of work and when you come out you put the whole place behind you.  I'm not sure exactly what I mean by this, but there is the beginnings of a story that come to me when I look at this (and often other) door(s).



3 comments:

  1. ooh. I like your stories! Maybe you go into the secret door, have an adventure and come out all dusty through the other one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that, I hadn't even considered that the two could be connected. This makes me wish I was more comfortable as a writer. I have "story starter" moments like this pretty often, where I see something and it triggers a more involved image or scene that I imagine could be part of a larger story, but I never follow it any farther. I'm a very, very visual person, almost to a fault, and writing has never come easily to me. Or speaking, sometimes for that matter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you could tell your stories with only visuals?

    :)

    ReplyDelete