Monday, January 24, 2011

Feeling Squirelly


I kind of secretly love squirrels.  I know they are the most boring, everyday backyard sort of animal, but they are mischievous and resourceful and comical and I love to watch them.  I was even kind of rooting for this guy as he vandalized my bird feeder.  I've always thought about writing a children's book about a squirrel, something very Beatrix Potter, similar to Peter Rabbit or Benjamin Bunny.  I think that one of the things that made those books so magical for children was taking something ordinary they saw in their yards all the time and turning him into a character that reminded them of themselves.  I could totally see some of these photos as inspiration for illustrations (I think especially the one in the bottom left corner).  I know I'm not even a month into this "365" project, but I'm already thinking about next year and another project which might have something to do with children's stories and illustrations.  But, one thing at a time, so here are my photos for today!

1 comment:

  1. OMG...squirrels are so much fun! I love them!!! And, now I love you for making them the subject of your pictures. The shot at the bottom where he has snow on his face is too adorable! Love, love, love!

    ReplyDelete