Monday, January 3, 2011

Competition


I'm thinking of calling this one "Competition".  I'm not yet sure if I think that is clever or just dumb.  I tend not to be very creative when it comes to giving titles; the file name for this image is just "Tree and power lines".  Which, actually, to be technical, the branches in the foreground are not a tree, but a Rose of Sharon bush not more than 4 feet tall. 

I'm torn about posting this one at all, but I know I probably won't have any more time to take photos today and this is what I was able to get this morning before my daughter woke up.  I'm not sure I really like this image, but I think for me just sticking to this project is going to be more important that producing an image that I absolutely love every day.  And, even though I only spent about five minutes taking this I had to switch lenses and use the manual focus to get it the way I wanted it, so at least getting to work on my skills a bit.

I really want to do some portraits, I think I need to start thinking about finding some people willing to model for me.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny that you're not crazy about this one, because it's the one I zoned in on right away.

    First of all, I'm a sucker for transitional winter light -- morning and evening. That sky is stunning. The angle is really interesting, too.

    I like "Competition." It strikes me as a visual haiku -- in a good haiku (of which I've written one out of about thirty), there's reference to a season, and there is a subtle tension between two, um, things. (Very technical.) Here it's obviously winter, and there is a really cool tension going on between the power lines and the branches. The power lines are straight, man-made; the branches are crooked, organic. The power lines run horizontally, connecting people in a sort of blind one-dimensional way; the branches run vertically, directing the eye to the sky, the simplicity of the oldest life-giving power, the palely rising sun. The power lines are sterile; the branches contain seed pods. The power lines are constant (in a brittle way), never taking a break; the branches are hibernating, in sync with the seasons.

    I don't know. I think this photo is visually really appealing, and philosophically cool.

    ReplyDelete