Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Staying on my toes


When my friend Jennifer brought her son Aiden over to visit with the intention of me taking some portrait shots of him, I don't think this was what she had in mind.  Well I say to her then, "you shouldn't have had a child with such cute toes.  It's your own fault." He was sitting on his mom's lap playing with a magna-doodle and I noticed that he has very fidgety feet, and I think they ended up being a really neat subject to photograph.  I know working with kids is really hard, but I kind of like how unpredictable they are and how you never know what you are going to get with them.  I certainly didn't go into this saying, "I'm going to take take a photo of feet today." 

I hope that I actually did accomplish a "portrait" of Aiden, even if it's not in the traditional sense.  Maybe when he's grown his parents will look back at this and remember something endearing about him, even if it is only how squirmy he was.  And that I think is really the purpose of a portrait of a child, to help us remember what they were like on a particular day when they are changing so fast it's hard to keep up.

2 comments:

  1. love this. keep it up with non-traditional portraits. one of georgia o'keefe's lovers did an amazing series of her body that i saw at the met earlier this year.
    i've added you to my 365 reader so i don't miss anything upcoming!
    peace,
    grow
    http://grow365.posterous.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really love this.

    i wish i had similar portraits of my children, of either their sweet baby hands or feet.

    they grow so fast. those fidgety little toes don't last forever.

    ReplyDelete