Saturday, February 19, 2011

Seva




Today was an exciting day for me.  Most importantly, today was my first "Seva" (service) project with a group from the wonderful Dhanwantari Center for Yoga and Well-Being.  We served a meal at Hope Ministries community kitchen in downtown South Bend, and not just any meal but a pretty damn good one if I do say so myself.  And I think this is only the beginning; by the time the meal was wrapping up we were already chattering away about the menu for the next, which sounds like it will be even better.  I'm glad we are doing this project, but I'm even more proud that we are trying to do it well and serve food that is made as nutritious and tasty as we can (which apparently next month will include maple and brown sugar sweet potatoes, yum!).  So many, not just those pictured here, contributed to making this meal happen, and even the kids got involved by beautifying the chalk board in the dining room.  As far as the photos, I didn't take many one because of working but also (again) because of my lack of assertiveness as a photographer, something I need to keep working on.  The second exciting thing to happen today was that I (or we, more accurately) had a real paying gig today!  Wasn't anything special, but right after this dinner I had to dash to the high school back in my home town to work with my husband to offer portraits at the annual "Winterfest" dance.  It was a pretty easy job, we did all right, but we also tried to use this opportunity to drum up some senior photo business.  We'll see how this goes, maybe someday photography could make me money instead of costing it!

1 comment: