Sunday, February 6, 2011

Finding my own smile


Well, after the last self portrait post I did ("In my own skin") I've been thinking about a lot of things and decided to try to take that theme a little farther tonight.  I'm really feeling exposed (ha, ha, ha) posting this, but here it goes anyway. 

My thoughts behind this image started with a conversation my husband and I were having last night.  I was trying to explain to him how I feel I've changed and am changing over time and how I now more than ever take responsibility for my own happiness.  So I wanted to create a portrait of myself that illustrated this point, how I can feel peace and joy without the aid of anyone or anything.  Obviously I don't feel this way all the time; I am certainly a huge work in progress, but I'm so grateful to the things in my life that are teaching me how to be this way more and more (being a mother, practicing yoga, making art, and just getting older, to name a few).  I hope I accomplished this at least a little.

By the way, the alternate title for this post was, "Adventures in topless photography".

4 comments: