Thursday, February 3, 2011

In my own skin

I really am so thankful for all the new people I've been introduced to over the last week or so on this blog, and for the community of creative support I'm finding on the web.  Artists are just awesome people I've decided, and the world would be a better place if we ran things (though it may be a more disorganized and poor place, but hey, at least we'd all get along, right?).  This photo in particular had two sources of inspiration.  One being the self portraits of Heather Addley on 365 Days of Me , which inspires me not only because there are some really great photos but also because of her using this project to "see her body in a new light".  As someone who went through a period of anorexia as a teenager and still struggles to accept myself (even though my brain tells me I'm a fool for thinking I'm "fat"), I really appreciate a glimpse into another woman's struggle with these issues.  My second inspiration came from a comment from grow365 mentioning portraits of Georgia O'Keefe which I immediately looked up and was amazed by.  I loved the expressiveness in her hands.  I know what I did today didn't even come close, but I really am starting to like the idea of portraits that don't include a face or at least don't feature it.  So I am back to needing models again! 

9 comments:

  1. <3
    This is simply gorgeous!

    You are an inspiration to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for peeling back a little slice of your soul, Meg! it is very brave of you to shoot this in the first place, and then put it out for all of us to see.
    it's really lovely.

    so you are probably right about artists running the world, i think :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what you said about artists running the world; oh what a more peaceful place it would be!

    This is a beautiful picture and I admire your candor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an AWESOME photo, awesome. Made my day.

    Keep on keepin' on, mkay?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I just thought...you should put this one Flickr, Meg. You would get lots of recognition and blog followers, methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy Crap! I've known you for what at least 15 years. Never would have I guessed you would shoot this. It's beautiful! I'm so excited for you and astounded what you can do with a camera in your hands! *jealous* I disagree about stereotyping non artists though. We can be cool too. Unless you consider birth support an art form.

    ReplyDelete
  7. um, birth support is TOTALLY an art form. NO question.
    you might like these:
    http://amandagreavette.blogspot.com/2010/11/all-9-paintings-from-living-in-body.html

    and, all y'all might be interested in these:
    http://susansingerart.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete