Saturday, February 5, 2011

Grave matters


Went to the cemetery in our town today to take some photos, which I oddly found much less depressing than going to the beach yesterday (hmmm, what does that say about me?).  I would have been happy to stay and take pictures for a lot longer than I did if it hadn't been so frigid today; I think with the windchill it was only a degree or two above zero.  There was so much more interesting stuff there that I didn't get.  This cemetery is actually really beautiful, it's very old for this part of the country and is shaded by tons of ancient oak trees.  It's one of my favorite places to go for a walk when the weather is good.  One other interesting thing, the photo of the monument in the upper left is known in town as the "Atheist's Tomb".  Apparently it is the grave of a prominent business man in the early days of our town who was an outspoken atheist and when he died he had something engraved on his tomb that said something about those beliefs, and shortly after it went up the grave was vandalized and the words removed.  I have no idea if this is true, I heard it as a kid, but it's interesting.

In other news, I went to my first Kirtan event tonight, which was awesome!  If you don't know who Allie Stringer is you ought to, so check her out.  But I am absolutely livid at my camera right now, because I took it to this event but had forgotten my sd card but thought that my camera had some on board memory because it let me take some shots if I changed something in my settings.  Apparently this is just a mode in the camera that was created only to torture photographers, because it will allow to to take images and you can see them on your camera but as soon as you turn it off they disappear, never to be seen again.  I hope that Allie will be back in South Bend soon and will give me a second chance photograph her!

3 comments:

  1. These are lovely, Meg. We almost went to the cemetery yesterday, too! There is an old historic one on the river here called Hollywood that has the same kind of rustic vibe as the one you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! These are gorgeous pictures! I love old cemeteries, and the snow makes it appear extra calm and surreal. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always really enjoy cemetery pictures. They have a sort of peace that goes with them.

    ReplyDelete