Sunday, May 8, 2011

Loner


Josie and I went to a birthday party today for the children of a friend of mine (both have May birthdays, so they usually just share a party).  If I had been thinking ahead, I would have made sure to ask this friend if I could use a picture of her and her kids for my blog, but I forgot.  It's really too bad, she is an awesome mother and a true inspiration to me; it would have made a perfect post for mother's day.  She is a full time student and a single mother, who has had more of her fair share of troubles (even living in a homeless shelter for awhile) but has managed to always care for her children with abundant love, kindness, patience and optimism.

Instead, this is the shot I have for you all.  I suppose it speaks to motherhood as well; somehow I managed, either through nature or nurture, to pass on my loner tendencies to my daughter.  While all the other kids ate cake and opened presents, Josie preferred to sit quietly by herself in the sunshine and play with the little figurines from the top of the birthday cake.  This image looks a little sad and lonely, but I assure you that she was perfectly happy.  And I understand completely why she would choose this, because it is in fact exactly what I would normally do at a party (well, minus the tiny Cinderella and Snow White).  

No comments:

Post a Comment