Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Spring in the yard




The hardest thing about Josie being sick the last few days has been that those days have been beautiful!  Sunday especially, it was almost 80 degrees.  And we haven't hardly enjoyed it.  Josie, by the way, is doing a bit better, and we went to the doctor today just so I could get some reassurance that my policy of keeping her hydrated and waiting it out was the way to go.  On the way home she fell asleep, and after putting her in her bed I crept outside to take a few photos (instead of passing out next to her, as I've done every other time she's fallen asleep since getting sick).  Seems like it is really spring out there now, like we can stop dreading another snowfall (knock on wood) and break out the sandals.  The top photo is of a budding branch on a little flowering tree in my yard (not sure of the type), the second is my day-lilies coming up, and the third is a weed that I've always found pretty, called stinging nettle I think.

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your little one is a little better. Hopefully she has turned the corner! Love the glow of the leaves and the bokeh in the top photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty. I always thought those flowering weeds were verbena, but I just checked, and they're "purple dead nettle" (Lamium purpureum), which is not actually a nettle. Good to know! I love your first pic, with the tiny rainbow sunflare and the backlit leaves.

    Get well, Josie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was little, I used to collect those weeds into bouquets to present to my mom and grandma. I never knew what they were called until Jesse's comment. I always called them snapdragons, even though as a child I was corrected and I know what snapdragons are now, don't they look like baby snaps?

    These are gorgeous photos, Meg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jess for the botany lesson!

    ReplyDelete